What is considered standard treatment in one culture may not be standard in another. For example:
- Acupuncture is standard in China but not in the United States.
- Hypnosis is a standard part of psychiatry, but it may not be standard if used to treat cancer.
Examples of complementary medicine include:
- Alternative health approaches such as traditional Chinese medicine, homeopathy, and naturopathy.
- Mind and body practices like acupuncture, massage therapy, and tai chi.
- Natural products like herbs, dietary supplements, and probiotics.